Friday, May 14, 2010

Mixed Race - hair relaxer?

I really want to relax my hair but my mum doesn't really want me to, she says it's to expensive..(relaxes hers though hypocrite lol). don't want to have damaged hair. I don't want it to be greasy....





Questions:


1 How can I persuade her to let me relax my hair?


2 Will it damage my hair?


3 What's the cheapest I can get it for?


4 Do I have to put loads of oil in?


5 I always straighten my hair, is relaxer worse than straightening?Mixed Race - hair relaxer?
Hi hun, I truly sympathize with you, but I understand your mum's reluctance. Once you start using chemical lye/no lye based relaxers on your hair, its something you have to keep up, doing no sooner than every 8-12 weeks, and only relaxing the new growth, and not the previously relaxed hair. Until you either try to grow it out, or cut the relaxed portion of your hair off








Relaxers if done properly and/or professionally ( note not every hairdresser does them well) , can be a great thing, but not all relaxers are created equal, some are too strong/harsh, causing major breaking, and lots of damage. and the Cheapest does not mean better. You really need a person you can trust to apply it.





They need to be maintained, by regular, daily moisturizing of your hair and ends., Using a cream or lotion moisturiser. Weekly shampooing and deep conditioning with moisturizing products. Leave in conditioners, Limit of high heat from blow dryers and straigtheners.





Take a look at the links below . Lots of great advice, to help you have healthy hair, relaxed or natural. The links below in particular are a really great place to start. They talk about relaxers, good hair salon practices . Hair regime building etc etc . Take your time, donot rush this, Its not a decision that can be reversed, and you need to know how to care for your relaxed hair before you start. So please do some research . There are a lot of black hair forums, aimed at educating us ladies on all things to do with growing and maintaining healthy hair.








http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83鈥?/a>


http://www.longhaircareformMixed Race - hair relaxer?
the main things i can say are..





relaxer is actually better for your hair than constantly straightening it. Constant heat is bad for your hair.. whilst relaxer is only applied every 6 weeks or so, and as long as you look after it in the mean time it will do less damage.





I would strongly advise you to get it done at a salon also, rather than at home.. at least at first. Also when ur hair is relaxed WRAP it every night. This is very important. Type how to wrap your hair into youtube if u dnt kno how..





I know money is an issue for us all lol... but u should be willing to spend money on the best treatments, shampoos, conditioners, moisturisers, trips to the salon etc. The way i see it is that your hair needs looking after, and sometimes when you cut corners, as in buying the cheapest products available.. ur not doing the best by your hair.





Because ur mixed race ur hair wont need so much oil.. as im sure u kno.. probably no more than usual. I recomend keracare products by the way





As for your mum... remind her that relaxing your hair is doing less damage than straightening it every week or however often.





gooood luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment