Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hair relaxer without the activator?

Irecently tried to relax my hair by myself and totally forgot to mix the activator in with the relaxer cream, when i found out, it was too late cause i had already applied it all around my hair. I got mad at myself, and still am, because i should have known better being that it is not my first time to apply one. I guess i stupidly thought , oh maybe this relaxer does not need an activator being that it was my first time to use that brand. Im scared that i have either damaged my hair parmanently or maybe caused myself to have some sort of scalp damage. I dont know what the signs of scalp damage are so if anyone does please let me know. Also my hair just came out a little dry and did not relax (obviously) but is not falling out or anything. Please if anyone is well experienced with this type of case please reply. I really hope i did not permanently damage my hair or cause some sort of scalp damage :(. Thanks in advance to all those that will respond.Hair relaxer without the activator?
Dont worry....you're fine. The activating lotion just activates the chemicals in the relaxer. You wont have any scalp damage.Hair relaxer without the activator?
I'm not a professional, but it seems to me that without the activator, the relaxer wouldn't work. I know that's how it works with coloring so we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope it's a similar case. As for detecting scalp damage, as long as you washed it out immediately after realizing it you should be fine, but remember scalp is just skin with hair follicles, so just like you'd know if the skin on your arm or leg was damaged, you'd know the same about the scalp.
Like the others have mentioned-you are fine! No-lye relaxers must be mixed before they can work to relax your hair. So please don't worry! The most damage you've done is waste a few bucks! All no-lye relaxers work this way. Lye relaxers on the other hand are the ones that are to be applied straight from the tub and require no mixing or activation. These are typically not available over the counter or to anyone other than licensed stylists.





Scalp damage would be anything from really flaky, annoying dandruff to red, tender scalp w/ painful discharge. You would definitely know if you damaged your scalp-- or hair!





Before you relax in the future, make sure you've prepped your hair adequately. This will alleviate some of your worry about relaxing. Make sure you've clarified your hair and given it a good deep conditioning + protein reconstructing treatment. This should always be done the wash just before your relaxer-- 3-5 days in advance. I would also suggest protecting the length of your hair by applying an oil to the shaft through to the ends. This will prevent overlapping and additional ';chemical-run'; on a do-it- yourself application.





I have written quite a bit on relaxer care- feel free to check out my relaxer prep and followup articles in the source link below. Hope this helps!

13 comments:

  1. I too left the activator out my perm! How long do I have to wait to do the perm (with the activator, this time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. did your hair break and how long did u wait to reperm your hair

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misplaced my activator any other alternative pls

    ReplyDelete
  4. I misplaced my activator any other alternative pls

    ReplyDelete
  5. If i misplaced my activator for a dark and lovely kit....can i use a replacement??

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kit didn't come with a activator what can I use. Please help the store won't even take it back smh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just used a texturizer on my hair. This one was just for me brand. It came with activator, and I used half of it ,to a whole portion of the cream. I thought it wouldn't be so strong on my hair. Once I got it in it started working so fast, I had to hurry up and wash it out. Not sure if that was a good thing after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My activator poured away.can I use another brand activator to mix my relater. Urgent please

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the future when you forget to mix after applying the cream relaxer, just spray the activator on your hair and massage for even distribution. I once happened and that was how I solved it. This way , the hair got relaxed at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, i forgot to mix the activator in with the relaxer and ended up putting the relaxer on and had to put the activator on after. Good suggestion from you. My hair came out nicely.

      Delete
  10. Just relaxed my hair and forgot to mix the activator. Am glad to hear no damage harm to my hair.but when will I be able to perm it again?

    ReplyDelete